Post 1- Why did Abhimanyu die so young?

Advertisement

Bharathi199

Author's note: Based on my understanding of the English translation of the original Mahabharatha by Kisari Mohan Ganguli.

Arjuna’s son Abhimanyu died on the 13th day of the Mahabharatha war at the young age of 16. He is one of the most tragic heroes of the great epic. Reading about how young Abhimanyu was killed by a group of Kaurava warriors, all attacking him together, is very saddening. To think that the young hero died without even knowing that he was about to become a father is even more tragic.

But why did Abhimanyu have to die? He fought on the side of dharma, then why did he not live long and enjoy a prosperous, happy life? The story of Abhimanyu’s birth answers the questions.

In Adi Parva (Sambhava Parva- Section LXVII) of Mahabharatha we see how the rishi Vaisampayana is telling Janamejaya the story of the Mahabharatha. Janamejaya asks the rishi which gods and rakshasas were born as the Pandavas and Kauravas and while telling him this, Vaisampayana also tells him about VARCHAS, who was born as Abhimanyu.

Varchas is Chandra’s (the Moon) son. When the Gods come to Chandra and ask him to let his son be born on the Earth to take part in the Mahabharata war for dharma, Chandra agrees but on one condition. He says that he loves his son very much and he cannot be separated from him for very long so he will let Varchas be a part of the war if he comes back to him quickly, in 16 years time.

Chandra says: “Varchas will be born as Abhimanyu, and he will be the son of Nara, born on Earth as Arjuna. In the battle that will take place between the Pandavas and Kauravas, Abhimanyu will take part in his 16th year (when he is 16 years old). He will play a very important role in the battle when both Nara (Arjuna) and Narayana (Krishna) are not present there and he will force the enemy to retreat before him. Over just half a day, Abhimanyu will destroy a fourth of the enemy forces and then when many enemy warriors attack him together, he will be killed and he will come back to me”.

Exactly as Chandra said, on the 13th day of the Mahabharatha, Arjuna is challenged by the Samsaptakas and he is fighting with them in one end of the battlefield. Drona arranges the chakra vyuha to capture Yudishtira. Seeing that Drona is getting closer and no one is able to stop him and his chakravyuha, Yudisthira remembers that Abhimanyu has learned from his father how to break the vyuha.

Abhimanyu obeys Yudisthira’s command to break into the chakravyuha although he does not know to break out of it. As said by Chandra, he destroys many, many Kaurava warriors and finally he is killed by a number of them attacking him together. When Arjuna comes to know that it was Jayadratha who prevented Bhima from following Abhimanyu into the chakravyuha and protecting him, he makes a vow to kill Jayadratha the next day before sunset.

Here is the part from the Mahabharata where Abhimanyu's story is mentioned:

MB Adi Parva- Sambhava Parva- Section LXVII
And he who was known as the mighty Varchas, the son of Soma, became Abhimanyu of wonderful deeds, the son of Arjuna. And before his incarnation, O king, the god Soma had said these words to the celestials, 'I cannot give (part with) my son. He is dearer to me than life itself. Let this be the compact and let it be not transgressed. The destruction of the Asuras on earth is the work of the celestials, and, therefore, it is our work as well. Let this Varchas, therefore, go thither, but let him not stay there long. Nara, whose companion is Narayana, will be born as Indra's son and indeed, will be known as Arjuna, the mighty son of Pandu. This boy of mine shall be his son and become a mighty car-warrior in his boyhood. And let him, ye best of immortals, stay on earth for sixteen years. And when he attaineth to his sixteenth year, the battle shall take place in which all who are born of your portions shall achieve the destruction of mighty warriors. But a certain encounter shall take place without both Nara and Narayana (taking any part in it). And, indeed, your portions, ye celestials, shall fight, having made that disposition of the forces which is known by the name of the Chakra-vyuha. And my son shall compel all foes to retreat before him. The boy of mighty arms having penetrated the impenetrable array, shall range within it fearlessly and send a fourth part of the hostile force, in course of half a day, unto the regions of the king of the dead. Then when numberless heroes and mighty car-warriors will return to the charge towards the close of the day, my boy of mighty arms, shall reappear before me. And he shall beget one heroic son in his line, who shall continue the almost extinct Bharata race.' Hearing these words of Soma, the dwellers in heaven replied, 'So be it.'

Last edited:

Sainandhu

Welcome and wishes Bharathi....

On seeing the thread,I’m eargerly waitng for this...
In depth, don’t know about Mahabharatham...
It’s interesting to know about Abimanyu..
Expecting more .....

Thank you, bharathi ....:)

Advertisement

Unleash It Here....

Dear Writers, இத்தளத்தில் எழுத விரும்புகிறவர்கள் , [email protected] என்ற மின்னஞ்சலில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும்.

New Episodes

Back