Post 3- The Gandiva- how did it come to Arjuna and where did it go after his lifetime?

Advertisement

Bharathi199

Author's note: Based on the English translation of the original Mahabharatha by Kisari Mohan Ganguli.

When we talk about the Gandiva bow, we automatically think of Arjuna. In fact, we never think of Arjuna and Gandiva separately at all. It is like one cannot exist without the other. But, Arjuna was definitely not born with the Gandiva like Karna was born with his armour and ear ringsJJ . So then when did he get it and where?? And what happened to the Gandiva after Arjuna’s lifetime?

The first interesting point here is that Arjuna was not the ‘first’ to wield the Gandiva. The bow has its own history. It was Shiva who first held the bow for a thousand years. Then it came to Prajapati and then to Sakra. Soma got it from Sakra and then it was held by Varuna before it was given to Arjuna. (Note that Sakra is another name used for Indra and Soma is used for Chandra, although the names may apply to other deities also).

So, the ‘ownership’ goes like this:

Shiva -> Prajapati ->Sakra ->Soma -> Varuna -> Arjuna

Arjuna got the Gandiva somewhat late in life, much after Draupadi svayamvara, actually. (Quick note: when Arjuna and Bheema fought Duryodhana and Karna and held them back at Draupadi swayamvara, they fought WITHOUT have the Gandiva or Bheema’s mace).

Arjuna got the Gandiva in this manner:

The Pandavas have already established their kingdom in Indraprastha. Arjuna and Krishna go to the banks of the Yamuna river to spend the day there. As they both sit there talking, a Brahmana comes to them. His skin is golden in colour and his beard yellow. He is dressed in rags. This is Agni, the God of fire.

Agni asks Arjuna to get him ‘food’ to satisfy his hunger. Arjuna agrees and asks him what kind of food he needs. Agni tells him that the Khandava forest that is nearby is his food but he is not able to eat (burn) it because Indra keeps interfering. Indra’s friend, Takshaka, the snake, lives in the Khandava forest and to protect him, Indra keeps putting out Agni’s fire whenever Agni tries to burn the forest.
Agni asks Arjuna and Krishna to help him consume (burn) the Khandava forest and the many creatures living in it by making sure that Indra cannot put out the fire with rains.

Arjuna agrees but he points out that to fight against Indra, he will need a stronger bow than he has. He tells Agni that he has the strength, the knowledge of weapons and the skill to stop Indra but the bow he has is an ordinary one. It cannot stand the strength that Arjuna will have to use against Indra. Arjuna also says that he does not have enough arrows to match the speed at which he can shoot them or a chariot that can hold the huge number of arrows he will use. Finally, Arjuna asks Agni to get him all of these so that he and Krishna can prevent Indra from stopping the burning of Khandava.

Adi Parva- Khandava daha parva

Vibhatsu (Arjuna) said unto him these words well-suited to the occasion, I have numberless excellent celestial weapons with which I can fight even many wielders of the thunderbolt. But, O exalted one (Agni), I have no bow suited to the strength of my arms, and capable of bearing the might I may put forth in battle. In consequence of the lightness of my hands also I require arrows that must never be exhausted. My car also is scarcely able to bear load of arrows that I would desire to keep by me. I desire celestial steeds of pure white, possessing the speed of the wind; and a car possessing the splendour of the sun and the clatter of whose wheels should resemble the roar of the clouds......

....... O Pavaka, we are ready to do all that manliness and prowess can do. But, O exalted one, it behoveth thee to give us the adequate means.'"

Agni agrees and calls Varuna and tells him to give Arjuna not only the Gandiva bow but also two quivers that will never run out of arrows and a chariot with horses that can run at the speed of the wind.

With the Gandiva, described as being equal to a hundred thousand bows, in his hand, mounted on the chariot drawn by white horses and with two quivers of arrows that will never run empty, Arjuna, with the help of Krishna destroys Khandava and Agni finally has his hunger satisfied. This is how and when Arjuna gets the Gandiva.

Now, what happened to the Gandiva after Arjuna’s lifetime?

It is in the Mahaprasthanika-parva that we see what happens to the Gandiva. Arjuna gives up the great bow even before he gives up his life. After Krishna’s death, Arjuna is filled with grief and so are the other brothers. They decide that the time has come to leave the world. After announcing that Parikshit (Abhimanyu and Uttara’s son) will be king of Hastinapuri, they all go towards the Himalayas. On their way, Agni appears before them and tells Arjuna to give back the Gandiva because he longer has any use for it. Arjuna obeys and throws the Gandiva and the two quivers into the sea, returning them to Varuna.

Advertisement

Unleash It Here....

Dear Writers, இத்தளத்தில் எழுத விரும்புகிறவர்கள் , [email protected] என்ற மின்னஞ்சலில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும்.

New Episodes

Back