21: Can the Mahabharatha be read at home?

Advertisement

Bharathi199

There is a common notion that the Mahabharatha should not be read at home, that not even a copy should be kept at home. Nothing could be further from the truth. THIS is what the epic says at the end, after a recounting of the diverse benefits of reading it (phalashruti). It is very evidently compared to and equalized with the vedas and the Ramayana.

Note: The Bharatha is the name by which the Mahabharatha is referred to here because: The high race of the Bharatas is its topic. Hence it is called Bharata. And because of its grave import, as also of the Bharatas being its topic, it is called Mahabharata.

Excerpt from Svargarohanika-parva
The Mahabharata, Book 18: Svargarohanika Parva: Section 6

The One should listen to the Bharata every day. One should proclaim the merits of the Bharata every day. One in whose house the Bharata occurs, has in his hands all those scriptures which are known by the name of Jaya. The Bharata is cleansing and sacred. In the Bharata are diverse topics. The Bharata is worshipped by the very gods. The Bharata is the highest goal. The Bharata, O chief of the Bharatas, is the foremost of all scriptures. One attains to Emancipation through the Bharata. This that I tell thee is certain truth. One that proclaims the merits of this history called the Mahabharata, of the Earth, of the cow, of Sarasvati (the goddess of speech), of Brahmanas, and of Keshava, has never to languish.

In the Vedas, in the Ramayana, and in the sacred Bharata, O chief of Bharata’s race, Hari is sung in the beginning, the middle, and at the end. That in which occur excellent statements relating to Vishnu, and the eternal Srutis, should be listened to by men desirous of attaining to the highest goal. This treatise is sanctifying. This is the highest indicator as regards duties; this is endued with every merit. One desirous of prosperity should listen to it. Sins committed by means of the body, by means of words, and by means of the mind, are all destroyed (through listening to the Bharata) as Darkness at sunrise.

Aadhi

Tamil Novel Writer
Agree wholeheartedly but I cannot write in Tamizh. My misfortune, I never learned :(
Well. Thatz ok. But I appreciate your work. Gone thru some of your posts. Relly impressive. If u don't mind, you may request Site admin / Mallika Mam or anyone u know to translate your post/briefings.

Jai Shree Ram.

Bharathi199

Well. Thatz ok. But I appreciate your work. Gone thru some of your posts. Relly impressive. If u don't mind, you may request Site admin / Mallika Mam or anyone u know to translate your post/briefings.

Jai Shree Ram.
Oh thank you, will try:):)

Advertisement

Unleash It Here....

Dear Writers, இத்தளத்தில் எழுத விரும்புகிறவர்கள் , [email protected] என்ற மின்னஞ்சலில் தொடர்பு கொள்ளவும்.

New Episodes

Back